Sunday, August 29, 2010

Glen Beck? Really?

I very rarely dip my toes in the waters of political discussion. I sincerely entrust all things politics to God. He is sovereign. I have no worries with the fluctuating political figures of the day . I truly believe that God has a plan. I am responsible to vote my conscience and you yours and I am not going to disrespect you for how you vote and I would hope for the same respect in return. As God's word says:

Daniel answered and said:
“Blessed be the name of God forever and ever,
to whom belong wisdom and might.
[21] He changes times and seasons;
he removes kings and sets up kings;
he gives wisdom to the wise
and knowledge to those who have understanding;
(Daniel 2:20-21 ESV)

However, what I'm thinking about today is this: WHY are so many christians on the Glen Beck bandwagon? I'm not talking about the non christian republican or the non christian libertarian.. I'm talking about the bona fide evangelical christian who adore Glen Beck.

I really try not to be cynical in my day to day life but I can't help but wonder if Mr. Beck isn't a modern day snake oil salesman. He sells fear and discontent and many christians are buying it. Mr. Beck makes a living out of making people afraid!!!! If he can convince people that God is not sovereign and that America is going to hell in a handbasket, then everyone buys his books, goes to his rallies and puts money in his pocket thinking they are doing something godly in the process!!!

The other thing that concerns me is that Mr. Beck is a Mormon. When he calls America to turn back to God. Which "god" is he talking about? The one that the Morman religion believes in? The one where Jesus is NOT God? Because if he is, then that is not the God of the bible. This is concerning to me. If Mr. Beck left out the "god" talk I wouldn't be as puzzled. He would then be just another political commentator. But, he doesn't leave it at that. He brings God into it and it isn't the Judeo Christian God that is the God of the Bible that he's talking about.

Honestly, my hope is that at least ONE of the evangelical Christians in Glen Beck's inner circle is sharing the gospel with him. What is more important than the "saving" of America from whatever it is that Mr. Beck is afraid of? The condition of his soul. I TRULY hope he has heard the Gospel and the TRUE message of the cross. This is so much more important than whatever it is he's selling.

Are there a lot of problems in America? YES! Are there a lot of sinful things going on in America? YES! (but in my own life too... and yours if you are honest with yourself). Are there causes for great sadness and concern because of the rampant practice of abortion? YES! Are there health care concerns on both sides of the debate? YES!

BUT... for the Christian there is absolutely no need to fear for we do not look to a political figure or a talented speaker for our answers. We look to God and God alone for HE is sovereign over history.

So, that's what I'm thinking about today. What say you?

No comments:

Post a Comment